Chong Cheng School at Aliwal Street, before 1970


Chong Cheng School at Aliwal Street, before 1970
This is the façade of the three-storey Chong Cheng School at 28, Aliwal Street. The school was established as "Yang Cheng School" on 30 January 1905 at the rented premises of Hup Thai Company in Beach Road. In 1909, it was relocated to 368, Beach Road and renamed "Chong Cheng School". In 1938, it was relocated to Aliwal Street. Due to the low student population, it was relocated to 1, Tampines Street 21 in 1985 and renamed "Chongzheng Primary School" (崇正小学). The new premises was declared open by Mr. Phua Bah Lee, in April 1987. Past principals include Mr. B.R. Sethi [Sethi Baldev Raj] (Jan 1985-1992); Mrs. Jasmail Singh Gill (Dec 2002-Dec 2009); and Mrs. Elaine Quek-Lim Hwee Bin (林惠珉, Dec 2009-to date). Title devised by Library staff.
Taken from book Kampong Glam : [souvenir magazine], page 62