This Step-by-Step Guide contains the following sections:
What do you need?
Any smartphone or tablet with WiFi / data (e.g. 4G) connection.
To download eBooks, you will need your NLB myLibrary username.
The OverDrive app will be sunset by end 2022. The app will be removed from the Apple App Store, Google Play and Microsoft store in February 2022. Existing users of the OverDrive app are encouraged to switch to the Libby app. The OverDrive website (https://nlb.overdrive.com) will continue to be accessible.
Install the OverDrive app
Install the OverDrive app onto your mobile device.
The app is available for download on the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Once installed on your mobile device, you should get this page. Click "Sign Up".
Click "Sign up using library card".
Type "National Library Board, Singapore" and click Go.
Select your preferred public library. In the example below, Pasir Ris Public Library was selected.
Sign into your library with your NLB myLibrary username.
Upon signing in with your NLB myLibrary username, you will be brought to NLB's OverDrive collection.
Download an eBook from NLB's OverDrive Collection
Click on the book icon to download an eBook from the NLB's OverDrive collection.
Enter your NLB myLibrary username and Password to sign in.
Upon a successful login, you will be able to browse, search and download the eBook of your choice.
Simply click on the book cover of the selected title to go to the title's details page.
If the title is available, click "Borrow".
When you select on "Borrow", you will receive a message on whether the item has been successfully checked out to your account.
Click Download EPUB ebook.
Navigate to the Menu button, then to "Bookshelf" to access your eBook.
Click on your downloaded eBook to start reading.
For quick help topics, navigate to the Menu button and "Help".
Libby app will completely replace OverDrive app by end of 2022. NLB strongly recommends users to switch to Libby for a simplified mobile experience.
How do I set up Libby?
Download the Libby app on App store or Google Play store.
Select 'Yes' if you have myLibrary username > Tap on 'I'll Search For A Library'.
If you do not have myLibrary username, tap on 'Not Yet' to create one. Alternatively, click here to create one now.
Type 'National Library Board' > Select 'National Library Board Singapore' digital collection once it appears.
Enter Library Account Details with myLibrary username login > Select Next to visit NLB's digital collection.
Note: The library card is automatically saved and users will only need to sign in once.
How do I borrow an eBook/eAudiobook on Libby?
1. If you are seeking a specific title, click on the search icon at the bottom of the screen.
2. Enter the title of the desired digital book/audiobook under "Library".
3. Tap on your title and select either 'Borrow' or 'Place Hold'.
How do I add more than one library card to my Libby app?
1. Tap on the Libby icon at the bottom of the screen.
2. Click on 'Add Library' or '1 card +' to add another card under the same library.
3. To add another card, simply enter a different myLibrary username.
How do I access all the eBooks / eAudiobooks I have borrowed?
1. Select 'Shelf' at the bottom right of the screen to access books that you have borrowed.
2. Besides loans, you may also access all reservations and tags placed on titles.
3. To quickly continue reading, simply click on the book title at the bottom of your screen.
How do I return a title early?
1. To return a title earlier, simply select 'Shelf' at the bottom right of the screen.
2. Select 'loans'
3. Select 'Manage Loan' and 'Return Early'.
How do I set up Libby on multiple devices?
1. Tap on the Libby icon at the bottom of the screen (on your first device)
2. Go to "Settings"
3. Select "Copy To Another Device"
4. Enter the eight-digit set-up code on your second device.
How do I find out the amount of time I have left on the waitlist for an eBook / eAudiobook that I reserved?
1. Simply select 'Shelf' at the bottom right of the screen.
2. Select 'Your holds'
3. To view the waitlist information for each reserved title, select the calendar icon.
How do I make adjustments to my reading or audio settings?
1. Click the chosen title and tap on the centre of the page to bring up reading settings.
2. Click on 'A' icon to readjust text scale, background or font style.
3. For text size, adjust the text scale to your desired size.
4. Select bright, sepia or dark background for your reading text.
1. Click the chosen title.
2. Tap on the speedometer icon at the top of the screen to adjust your play speed. For more information, click here for a tutorial video.
3. Set up a sleep timer to pause playback if you would like to time your audiobook. For more information, click here for a tutorial video.
4. To fast forward, simply swipe left and drag on your listening page. Click here for a tutorial video.
Other videos from Libby Academy