Yue Hai Ching Temple at Phillip Street, circa 1975

 

Title
Yue Hai Ching Temple at Phillip Street, circa 1975
Description
This is an elevated view of the entrance gate, courtyard and two shrines of the Yue Hai Ching Temple (or Wak Hai Cheng Bio, 粤海清庙) at 30B, Phillip Street. The shrine on the right is dedicated to the Heavenly Emperor (Xuan Tian Shang Di or 玄天上帝) while the other is dedicated to the Mother of Heavenly Sages (Tian Hou or 天后). The temple was established in 1826 by the Teochew community. In the early days, the office of Ngee Ann Kongsi (義安公司) was located within the temple premises. The temple was gazetted as a national monument by the Preservation of Monuments Board on 28 June 1996. Title devised by Library staff.