This 1890s photograph shows a view of the Town Hall (left) and the Court House, near the Esplanade (present day Padang). Built in 1862, the Town Hall was designed by John Bennett (the Municipal Engineer). This building has a theatre on the ground floor, offices and meeting rooms on the second. The Court House was designed by G.D. Coleman, and constructed between 1826 and 1827. It was originally built as the home of John Argyle Maxwell (a Scottish merchant). Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.