This photograph taken between 1873 and 1882 shows a panoramic view of the Singapore River, from Fort Canning Hill. There is an inscription, "General view of Singapore taken from Fort Canning Signal Station", on the front of the photograph. High Street can be seen on the left, and the Court House behind which the roof of the Town Hall is visible. The Government Offices (today’s Empress Place) can be seen to the right as can the whole sweep of Boat Quay along the Singapore River. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale. Date of creation estimated.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.