This is a 1983 photograph showing rows of shophouses, located at Pagoda Street (north side). Street vendors can be seen manning their stalls at the front of the building. The street was named after the pagoda-like gopuram of Sri Mariamman Temple. The shophouses around this area were built in 1843. Pagoda Street has been converted into a pedestrian mall, leading to the entrance of Chinatown MRT. Title devised by Library staff.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.