Raffles Place, late 1950s : general view

This is a picture of the commercial and financial buildings at Raffles Place (formerly known as Commercial Square). Shown in the picture are the Robinson & Co. department store which is housed in Raffles Chambers (left) and John Little and Co. building on the right. The United Chinese Bank which later changed its name to United Overseas Bank (UOB) in 1965 operates from Bonham Building at the corner of Bonham Street and Chulia Street. Also pictured is the Chartered Bank Building (centre) which was completed in 1915, and demolished in 1952. Photograph donated by Chang Jian Feng, and displayed at the Heritage Roadshow 2008. HRS3_167. Date of creation estimated. Title devised by Library staff.

Credit Line

This digital copy © National Library Board Singapore 2008. The original work © Chang Jian Feng.

Subjects
  • Architecture and Landscape>>Building Types>>Commercial Buildings
  • Commercial buildings--Singapore--Photographs
  • Office buildings--Singapore--Photographs
  • Arts>>Architecture>>Public and commercial buildings

Suggested Pictures
Suggested Pictures from National Archives of Singapore