This 1982 photograph shows a section of a two-storey shop house building located at Sungei Road. Sungei Road, which literally translated means “River Road” is so-named as it runs along the banks of the Rochor River. Sungei Road is located at the junction of Serangoon Road and Selegie Road. The year 1937 is on the lintel just above the windows in the centre of the building. One of the shops is a bakery as the name “Bilee Bakery” appears on the shop front in both English and in Chinese. Two vans are parked in front of the building and a mobile stall is also at the corner. A woman is buying something from the stall holder. Title devised by Library staff.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.