This 1968 photograph shows the ornate swinging doors (pintu pagar) of a house on Saunders Road. These doors are a typical feature of Peranakan houses, allowing in breezes while maintaining privacy. Saunders Road, located near Orchard, was named in 1927 after the colonial official Charles James Saunders. Title devised by Library staff.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All Rights Reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board Singapore 2009.