This 1984 photograph depicts shophouses at Telok Ayer Street, opposite Telok Ayer Temple (Thian Hock Kheng). A high-rise commercial building can be seen in the background. Telok Ayer was designated a Chinese district by Stamford Raffles in 1822 and served as the landing ground for early immigrants. It is now part of the central business district. Title devised by Library staff.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.