This 1870s photograph shows the Town Hall, designed by John Bennett (the municipal engineer). There is an incorrectly identified building name, "Court House, Singapore" (written in pencil), on the front of the photograph. Completed in 1862, the Town Hall has a theatre on the ground floor, offices and meeting rooms on the second. This Town Hall was later renamed Victoria Theatre in 1905 when Victoria Memorial Hall was built to commemorate the passing of Queen Victoria. The Memorial Hall incorporated the Town Hall (beside it) in the design, with a clock tower (built in 1906) linking the two buildings. Today, these buildings are known as the Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall and was gazetted as a national monument in 1992. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.