Lavender Street no. 267, 1985 : interior [1]

This 1985 photograph depicts a barber shop, located at no. 267 Lavender Street. Lavender Street was named in 1858. At that time, the smell of the area was unbearable due to the urine and nightsoil used to fertilise the Chinese vegetable gardens. Hence, residents referred to the area as Lavender Street out of sarcasm. The name was then formalised by the Municipality. Title devised by Library staff.

Credit Line

From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.

Subjects
  • Commerce and Industry>>Labour and Employment
  • Barbershops--Singapore--Photographs
  • Hairdressing--Singapore--Photographs

Tags
 

Suggested Pictures