This is a 1982 photograph showing a side view of the former Jinrickshaw (also spelt as jinricksha) Headquarters along Neil Road. Located at the junction of Neil Road and Tanjong Pagar Road, the former Jinrickshaw Station features a domed lantern set atop the 2-storey building, plasterwork and the arches on the building’s lower level. Built in 1903, the Jinrickshaw Station, also known as the Jinriksha Station, served as the registration centre for rickshaws. In the late 1980s, it was included in the Tanjong Pagar Conservation Area and refurbished by the Urban Development Authority (URA) to house shops and restaurants today. Title devised by Library staff.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.