Skip to Main Content

Waterworks at foot of Government Hill. 37, 1880s : general view [2]

This 1880s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. has an inscription "Waterworks at foot of Govt Hill, S'pore. 37" on the front. A similar view found in the NHB (National Heritage Board) website describes this view as two reservoirs built on Mount Emily in 1878. Located along Upper Wilkie Road where Mount Emily Park is today (near Mount Sophia), these service reservoirs were constructed in the 1880s to supply the town with fresh water. One of these reservoirs was converted into a public swimming pool (the first in Singapore) when a larger storage reservoir at Fort Canning was opened in 1929. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated.

Credit Line

All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.


Suggested Pictures

Suggested Pictures from National Archives of Singapore