This 1880s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. shows a view of the entrance to New Harbour. New Harbour was later renamed Keppel Harbour, after 1900. It was nicknamed "Dragon's Teeth Gate" after it was discovered by Chinese seafarers during the 14th century. The small island in the centre was known as Pulau Hantu (Island of Ghost), but is now known as Pulau Keppel. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Date of creation estimated.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.