This is a 1982 photograph showing a wide stretch of Neil Road, from Kreta Ayer Road. Along the side of the road is a row of two storey shophouses. One of the shophouses stands out from the rest at three storeys in height. The façade of the two storey shophouses spots three bays of windows with the central window almost of full length on the upper storey. The three storey shophouse has three bays of windows on both the second and third storey. The shophouses are connected by a covered path, the “five-foot way” and the whole structure is supported by columns. The shophouses are located in the Tanjong Pagar area. Neil Road was named after Colonel Neil of the Madras Fusiliers, an Indian Mutiny hero in 1857. Title devised by Library staff.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.