This 1890s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. shows Cavenagh Bridge. Built in 1868, the Cavenagh Bridge was named after Sir Lieutenant General William Orfeur Cavenagh, the last Governor of the Straits Settlements (1859 - 1867). It was the last major work of the Indian convicts based in Singapore and was the oldest bridge across the Singapore River. In 1909, the bridge was converted into a pedestrian bridge when nearby Anderson Bridge opened. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. The two small huts at the end of the pier were identified as the Observatory and Beacon on an 1899 German map of Singapore. Date of creation estimated. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.