This 1972 photograph shows Lavender Street (towards Beatty Road on left and Serangoon Road). Lavender Street was named in 1858. At that time, the smell of the area was unbearable due to the urine and night soil used to fertilise the Chinese vegetable gardens. Hence, residents referred to the area as Lavender Street out of sarcasm. The name was then formalised by the Municipality. Date of creation estimated. Title devised by Library staff.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.