This 1880s photograph shows the Straits Chinese Recreation Club (S.C.R.C) on Hong Lim Green and the Police Court (right). Designed by H.D. Richards, the S.C.R.C.'s clubhouse (an octagonal pavilion) was officially opened on 2 July 1887. In 1960, this clubhouse was demolished when Hong Lim Green was converted into Hong Lim Park. The French-style Police Court that stands behind the clubhouse was built in 1885 and demolished in 1975. Title from handwritten notes, on front of photograph. Date of creation estimated.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.