This photograph, taken between 1890 and 1899 from G.R. Lambert & Co., shows a view of Masonic Lodge, at 23A Coleman Street. Designed by Donald McLeod Craik, this two-storey building was built in 1879. For many years, the locals called the building rumah hantu, meaning "haunted house" in Malay, as few knew of what happened in this exclusive clubhouse and people often thought "strange ceremonies" took place here. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Date of creation estimated.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.