This photograph shows the 16-storey Cathay Building at the foot of Mount Sophia in Dhoby Ghaut area (centre of the photograph). Constructed between 1939 and 1941, it housed Cathay Hotel, Cathay Restaurant and Cathay Cinema. Shophouses and low-rise buildings can be seen in the surrounding area. Partially visible on the left is Methodist Girls’ School. Title devised by Library staff.
All rights reserved. Dave Barker, 1965