This 1890s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. shows Johnston's Pier at Collyer Quay. Built in 1855, Johnston's Pier was named after Alexander Johnston, a doyen of the European mercantile community who founded the firm A.C. Johnston & Co. Gharries, or horse-drawn carriages, could be spotted along the pier, but by 1880 they were replaced by rickshaws, which became an overwhelmingly popular mode of transportation. Johnston’s Pier was demolished in 1933, only to be replaced by Clifford Pier. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.