This 1985 photograph shows a view of the façade of the former Lai Chun Yuen opera house, at the junction of Smith Street and Trengganu Street. Built in 1887, the three-storey building was originally designed in the style of a Chinese teahouse. Lattice patterned panels on some parts of the walls and shuttered windows (typical of Singapore shophouses) can be seen on the 2nd and 3rd storeys. The building shows signs of wear and tear with a patched roof and discoloured walls, and is now occupied by residents and shops. A fruit stall selling durians, with a tarpaulin canopy, foldable tables on the ground level is one such shop. High-rise commercial buildings like OCBC Centre are also seen in the background. Title devised by Library staff.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.