This is a black and white photograph of the Sri Mariamman Temple located at 244 South Bridge Road, before it was renovated. First built in 1827, the Sri Mariamman Temple is the oldest Hindu temple in Singapore and was popularly known as Mariamman Kovil or Kling Street Temple. The temple is dedicated to the goddess Mariamman, known for her power in curing illness and diseases. As the present six-tiered gopurum was built in 1925 and restored with elaborate figures of sculptures in the 1960s, the photograph would probably be of the temple after the restoration as three-dimensional figurative sculptures of gods and goddesses and mythological beasts can be seen. Palm leaves are tied to both sides of door of the entrance of the temple. Two sepoy soldiers wearing khaki uniforms are on guard on the boundary walls of the temple. The top of the boundary wall that surrounds the compound is lined with sculptures of cows (considered sacred by Hindus). Two women can be seen along the road outside the front entrance of the temple. The younger woman is garbed with a top and a sarong like long skirt, while the other older woman is in a samfu. A man riding on a bicycle and a motor car can be seen on the road. Overhead, power cable criss-cross from a power cable pole. Title devised by library staff.
From the Kouo Shang-Wei Collection 郭尚慰珍藏. All rights reserved, Family of Kouo Shang-Wei and National Library Board Singapore 2007