This 1985 photograph depicts Lavender Street (access to backlane of houses facing Serangoon Road through passage between houses at no. 624 Serangoon Road and no. 269 Lavender Street). Lavender Street was named in 1858. At that time, the smell of the area was unbearable due to the urine and nightsoil used to fertilise the Chinese vegetable gardens. Hence, residents referred to the area as Lavender Street out of sarcasm. The name was then formalised by the Municipality. Title devised by Library staff.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.