This 1890s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. shows a view of the entrance to New Harbour. New Harbour was later renamed Keppel Harbour, after 1900. According to 14th century Chinese records, the waterway was once known as longyamen ("Dragon's Tooth Strait") in 14th century Chinese records due to the rocky outcrops that stood at the entrance to the harbour. The small island in the centre was known as Pulau Hantu (Island of Ghost), but is now known as Pulau Keppel. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Date of creation estimated. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.