This 1860s photograph shows the Court House, at the Esplanade (present day Padang). There is an inscription, "Singapore Town Hall", on the front of the photograph. Designed by G.D. Coleman, the Court House was constructed between 1826 and 1827 as the home of John Argyle Maxwell (a Scottish merchant). However, it was to become the government's courthouse in 1827. The building underwent further additions and renovations (the two turrets shown in this picture were removed in 1873), and it later became home to the Supreme Court and the Parliament House. Today, it is a venue for the performing and visual arts called The Arts House, and is also commonly referred to as the Old Parliament House. The Hotel de l'Esperance can be seen on the right. Its premises were taken over by Hotel d'Europe in 1865. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.