This is a photograph from E. A. Brown’s collection. It was taken during the official opening ceremony of the Floating Dock on 14 August 1929. The picture shows the 50,000 ton floating dock in the Johore Straits. This dock had been towed in two sections from the United Kingdom where it was built, the sections arriving on 12th and 15th October 1928 respectively. Measuring 855 feet in length, 172 feet in width and 75 feet high, it was the largest in Asia. Date of creation estimated. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
From the Edwin A. Brown Collection. All rights reserved, Celia Mary Ferguson and National Library Board, Singapore 2008