This photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co., taken between 1890 and 1899, shows Johnston's Pier. Johnston's Pier was built in 1855 and named after Alexander Laurie Johnston, the prominent merchant who came to Singapore in 1820. Constructed opposite the premises of A.L. Johnston & Co. that the Scotsman founded, Johnston's Pier was the main landing point in the city until it was demolished in 1933. Title from inscription, on front of photograph.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.