This is a close-up taken in 1969 of a Buddhist shrine, which was demolished when redevelopment was made to the Mount Faber area. The shrine was situated on top of a hill named Mount Washington, one of a range of at least seven hills in the Telok Blangah area. The Telok Blangah Hill area was renamed Mount Faber in 1845, after Captain Charles Edward Faber of the Madras Engineers, who was in charge of clearing the overgrowth of flora in the region. In the 1970s with the building of a new road extension, the area was sliced into two sections and one part remained as Mount Faber, while the other part was renamed Telok Blangah Hill. Photograph donated by Chua Ai Lin and displayed at Heritage Roadshow 2007. Title devised by Library staff.
This digital copy © National Library Board Singapore 2007. The original work © Chua Ai Lin.