This  photograph shows Lavender Street, at Foch Road corner. Lavender Street was named in 1858. At that time, the smell of the area was unbearable due to the urine and nightsoil used to fertilise the Chinese vegetable gardens. Hence, residents referred to the area as Lavender Street out of sarcasm. The name was then formalised by the Municipality. Date of creation estimated. Title devised by Library staff.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.