This photograph, taken between 1890 and 1899 from G.R. Lambert & Co., shows a view of the Government House. Designed by the Colonial Engineer John Frederick Adolphus McNair and built by Indian convict labourers, the stately Government House (completed in 1869), conformed to the Victorian eclectic aesthetic popular from the 1860s. Today, this structure is known as the Istana, and it is the official residence of the President of the Republic of Singapore. Title from inscription, on front of photograph.
Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.