This 1890s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. shows a view of Raffles Square. John Little's building can be seen on the left side of the photograph. Founded in 1845, John Little was Singapore's oldest department store. It was also the first European store to offer imported cookies and musical instruments. The photograph shows the new storefront that was constructed in three phases in 1896-1897. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Date of creation estimated. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.