This is a photograph taken in 2008 of the Sri Mariamman Temple located at 244 South Bridge Road. The temple was established by Indian pioneer Naraina Pillai (or Narayana Pillay) in 1827 and is dedicated to Sri Mariamman, the great goddess worshipped for health and prosperity. Built in the South Indian Dravidian style, the elaborately-decorated gopuram, or entrance tower, which is shown in the photograph, stands at six levels in height and is a landmark in the area. Its façade features three-dimensional figurative sculptures of gods and goddesses and mythological beasts. Palm leaves are tied to both sides of door of the entrance of the temple and there are women and men seen walking towards or are standing near the entrance area of the temple. Two Singapore flags are seen hung on the two square pillars of the temple. The temple was gazetted as a national monument on 28 June 1973. The temple is also known to devotees as the Sithi Vinayagar and Gothanda Ramaswamy Mariamman Temple or simply as Mariamman Kovil. Title devised by Library staff.
All rights reserved. Preservation of Monuments Board Singapore 2010