This 1985 photograph depicts Balestier Road, from Serangoon Road (northwestwards). Balestier Road is named after Joseph Balestier, first American Consul (1837 - 1852) and the owner of a 1,000-acre sugar plantation called Balestier Plain, which eventually failed and was put up for sale. The roads mentioned are located near the Little India district. The signboard on the building at left reads Singapore Institute of Science. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.