This 1887 photograph shows a view of Cavenagh Bridge taken after the fire in Flint’s Buildings in April 1886. The roofs of the General Post Office (built in 1884) are visible. The Master Attendant’s office and landing stage can be seen on the left. Cavenagh Bridge was first opened, for foot traffic, in November 1869 and was named after Lieutenant-General Sir Orfeur Cavenagh, who was governor of the Straits Settlements (1859-1867). The bridge was later opened for some types of traffic, but in 1909, when nearby Anderson Bridge opened, it reverted to being a pedestrian-only bridge. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.