Skip to Main Content

View of Chinatown and outskirts of Chinatown, 1890s : general view

This 1890s photograph shows the outskirts of the town with a view of People's Park in the foreground. It was taken from the foot of Pearl's Hill towards Fort Canning Hill. In the distance, the spire of the St. Andrew's Cathedral and the roof of the Police Court can be seen. The small bamboo shed at the left is for the Switchback Railway which began general operations on 2nd October 1889 and closed down about July 1891. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale. Date of creation estimated.

Credit Line

All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.


Suggested Pictures

Suggested Pictures from National Archives of Singapore