This is a 1982 photograph showing part of the exterior of the former Jinrickshaw (also spelt as jinricksha) Headquarters located at the junction of Neil Road and Tanjong Pagar Road. The building’s name is carved into the exterior wall. Plasterwork, exposed brickworks and arches on the building’s lower level can also be seen in the picture. Built in 1903, the Jinrickshaw Station, also known as the Jinriksha Station, served as the registration centre for rickshaws. In the late 1980s, it was included in the Tanjong Pagar Conservation Area and refurbished by the Urban Development Authority (URA) to house shops and restaurants today. Title devised by Library staff.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.