This is a 2007 photograph showing the exterior of the former Jinrickshaw (also spelt as jinricksha) Headquarters located at the junction of Neil Road and Tanjong Pagar Road. The Ionic pilasters and curved pediment on the corner, the square tower with its octagonal dome and arches on the building’s lower level are some of the architectural features seen in the picture. Built in 1903, the Jinrickshaw Station, also known as the Jinriksha Station, served as the registration centre for rickshaws. In the late 1980s, it was included in the Tanjong Pagar Conservation Area and refurbished by the Urban Development Authority (URA) to house shops and restaurants today. Coloured shop signages are also seen on the building’s façade. Title devised by Library staff.
All Rights Reserved. National Library Board Singapore 2007.