This 1960s photograph shows the Whiteaway Laidlaw Building and the Bank of China Building at the mouth of the Singapore River. Whiteaway Laidlaw was a premier department store in the early 20th century. In 1962, Maybank took over the building and renamed it Malayan Bank Chambers. The building was then demolished in 1998 to make way for the 32-storey Maybank Tower. The Bank of China Building was built in 1954 and was one of the region's first skyscrapers. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.