Skip to Main Content

Government House in the 1880s : general view [2]


Reproduction Available:

This photograph was taken between 1880 and 1889 from the foot of Fort Canning Hill. It shows a view of Government House in the distance. Designed by the Colonial Engineer John Frederick Adolphus McNair and built by Indian convict labourers, the stately Government House (completed in 1869) conformed to the Victorian eclectic aesthetic popular from the 1860s. The building was to be the official residence of 21 London-appointed Colonial Governors. Today, this structure is known as the Istana, and it is the official residence of the President of the Republic of Singapore. The road in the foreground is Penang Road and that in front of the buildings is Orchard Road. Dhobis have spread out washing to dry on the ground. There is a capped well among the clothes. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale. Date of creation estimated.

Credit Line

From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.

Subjects

Suggested Pictures
Suggested Pictures from National Archives of Singapore