This 1967 photograph shows the Singapore Free Press building on Cecil Street, undergoing renovation works. The Singapore Free Press, Singapore's second English language newspaper, was published for the first time on 1 October 1835. The newspaper remained in circulation until 1869. It was revived in 1884 by Charles Buckley, bought over by The Straits Times in 1946. It was merged with The Malay Mail in 1962 and has since ceased publication in Singapore. Date of creation estimated. Title devised by Library staff.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All Rights Reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board Singapore 2009.