This photograph of Battery Road, taken from the upper storey of the General Post Office can be dated between the years 1891-1892. Shops and houses can be seen along both sides of the street. On the road are rickshaws, the major form of transportation in Singapore between 1880s to 1930s. There is a sign on the left of the street for Riley Hargreaves & Co whose office there opened in October 1890. The building with the signboard "SHIP CH" on the right was demolished in 1893 to make way for the new Chartered Bank building (completed in 1894). Construction of Gresham House (which was on the left side of the road and was completed in November 1893) had not yet started. The trees on the left surround the Tan Kim Seng Fountain. A shop that houses James Motion Jeweller, Watch-maker and Optician, can be seen on the bottom right of the photograph. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.