This 1890s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co., shows the Impounding Reservoir built in 1857. It was enlarged and renamed Thomson Road Reservoir in 1907. In 1922, the reservoir was renamed MacRitchie Reservoir after James MacRitchie, who was Municipal Engineer of Singapore from 1883 to 1895. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.