This 1982 photograph shows Balestier Road, from Kim Keat Road corner towards Thomson Road. Balestier Road is named after Joseph Balestier, first American Consul (1837 - 1852) and the owner of a 1,000-acre sugar plantation called Balestier Plain, which eventually failed and was put up for sale. Title devised by Library staff.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.