This 1983 photograph shows a tree lined Neil Road, towards Cantonment Road with Bukit Pasoh Road on the right side of the photograph. Depicts a street view with three and two storey buildings of shophouses on the right side of the road. The buildings are supported by columns and a “five foot way “ connects the terraced shophouses. The façade of the shophouse of the building nearer to the foreground of the photograph, is divided into three bays, each filled with a window, but with the central window of full length and the cill of the windows on either side of waist height, with a decorative stucco panel beneath each window. Neil Road, formerly known as Salat Road, was named after Colonel Neil in March 1858. Located in the vicinity of Tanjong Pagar, it is home to rows of conserved shophouses. Title devised by Library staff.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.