This 1919 photograph is mounted on a board, with the handwritten words "St Mary's Orphanage 1919 - Capt J.B. Brown. Then C/officer Gorgon. Now Believed to be Salvation Army HQ" on the back. This photograph shows a group of people (including Captain J.B. Brown) posing for a photograph, at St Mary's Home. The home was originally the house of Tan Yeok Nee, which was built at Tank Road in 1885. The house was sold to the Malayan Railway in 1902 and became the Station Master's residence. When the Railway moved in 1912, the government handed over the house to the Anglican Bishop of Singapore as a trust. It then became St. Mary's Home and School for Eurasian Girls in 1912. The building was gazetted as a national monument in 1974. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.