This 1860s photograph was taken from Fort Canning Hill and shows a view of the Singapore River. The first Ellenborough Market can be seen on the left along the riverbank. The road on the bottom right corner led to a pedestrian bridge across to Kampong Melaka. The bridge was replaced by the Read Bridge, which was officially opened in 1889. On the left foreground are houses under construction. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale. Date of creation estimated.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.