This 1869 photograph of Cavenagh Bridge has an inscription, "Bridge.Singapore" on the front. Cavenagh Bridge was first opened, for foot traffic, in November 1869 and was named after Lieutenant-General Sir Orfeur Cavenagh, who was governor of the Straits Settlements (1859-1867). The name of Jaimie & Wynd can be read on Flint’s Buildings (Liu, p. 51). Wynd left the company in 1870, which dates this photograph to 1869. Cavenagh Bridge was later opened for some types of traffic, but in 1909, when nearby Anderson Bridge opened, it reverted to being a pedestrian-only bridge. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale. Date of creation estimated.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.