This 1879 photograph shows a view of the Cavenagh Bridge. Part of the old Fort Fullerton wall can be seen to the left of the bridge. The roof of the newly-built Exchange Building can be seen on the far left. The tower at 19 Collyer Quay can be seen on the left. Cavenagh Bridge was first opened, for foot traffic, in November 1869 and was named after Lieutenant-General Sir Orfeur Cavenagh, who was governor of the Straits Settlements (1859-1867). The bridge was later opened for some types of traffic, but in 1909, when nearby Anderson Bridge opened, it reverted to being a pedestrian-only bridge. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.